Sunday, October 9, 2011

Alex Corbett | Assignment 4A

Mohsen Mostafavi’s Ecological Urbanism is going to be a really good source to look at for my thesis. There are a lot of good theories and theorists that reflect how urbanism can improve through the ideas of ecology and sustainability. Although I didn’t read the entire 600 pages, skimming through and reading different paragraphs got me thinking about where to turn for my thesis. Mostafavi’s book reiterates some of my initial thoughts about how architecture can have a positive effect in society. I’m more confident now after reading this book because I know others see the same problems I saw when initially starting my thesis.

The article by Kwinter didn’t necessarily relate to my thesis but it helped me understand the fact that there can be smaller systems implemented that can help support an overall system. What I’m trying to say is, I can implement different spaces into the urban environment that may act like a small set of systems. However once they are created, these smaller systems may in fact become the solution for a larger system. It is possible that the green spaces I am looking to create can ultimately lead to a greater solution for sustainable urbanism. I find myself comparing this idea to something along the lines of the Emerald Necklace where smaller green areas throughout Boston were connected to create a new system of green spaces.

Both sources compliment each other. Kwinter’s article starts to set up a theory I am looking at for my thesis. Creating a system of smaller sustainable green spaces within a city will have a significant impact on not only that city, but other cities, and quite possibly the world as well.


Mostafavi, M., G. Doherty, et al. (2010). Ecological urbanism. Baden, Switzerland, Lars Muller.

Mohsen Mostafavi, in his book, Ecological urbanism, implies that while today’s culture is becoming more aware of environmental issues we face, we have yet to pinpoint immediate solutions to the stresses our urban environment puts on the world’s climate. Mostafavi supports his claim by illustrating a wide variety of theories made by experts from all over the world highlighting the need for merging of ecology and urbanism. The author’s purpose is to point out the problems our society faces when it comes to sustaining a future in order to formulate a stronger emphasis on the need for change in sustainable urbanism. The author writes in a formal tone for educated architects and environmentalists.

Kwinter, S., “The Judo of Cold Combustion,” Atlas of Novel Tectonics, Reiser + Umemoto, New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2006

Sanford Kwinter’s article “The Judo of Cold Combustion” suggests that architecture is a system of properties that are dormant until our design harvests these elements to create architecture. Kwinter supports his suggestion by explaining the invention of guncotton and relates it to the idea of one set of systems interacting with another to develop a completely new set of systems. Reiser + Umemoto who are architects view architecture the same way. The author’s purpose is to show how the intricate patterns of materials can reflect an overall larger system in order to help explain their relationship to architecture. This can be seen for example in wood’s tiny tightly woven structure as mimicked by the structural system of a building. The author writes in a formal tone for architects or engineers that have backgrounds in chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment