Urbanism Influenced by Sustainable Design
How can we improve urbanism through sustainable design?
Psychologically Invigorating Urban Design
How can we be psychologically stimulated by urban design?
References
Beatly, Timothy. Green Urbanism: Learning from European Cities. Washington DC: Island Press, 2000.
Farr, Douglas. Sustainable Urbanism: Urban Design with Nature. N.p.: Wiley, 2007.
Mostafavi, Mohsen. Ecological Urbanism. Switzerland: Lars Muller, 2010.
Gauzin-Muller, Dominique. Sustainable Architecture and Urbanism: Concepts, Technologies, Examples. Boston: Birkhauser, 2002.
Day, Christopher. Places of the Soul: Architecture and Environmental Design as a Healing Art. 2ndnd ed. Boston: Architectural Press, 2002.
Reflecting on the questions I came up with last time, I still find myself obsessed with this idea of “green space” in an urban context. I put quotations around these words because I’ve yet to define exactly kind of space I’m interested in. There seems to be somewhat of a convergence between old ideas and new ideas. Starting with an overall theme, my main focus is on public space within an urban landscape. I believe that these spaces have great significance both in the life of a city and the life of a person. From both a physical and mental standpoint, I’m focusing on the positive impact public space can have on the urban environment. From a mental standpoint, I believe that nature can have a beneficial impact on the human mind. Is there a correlation between homeless people and public space? I started the semester by looking at the psychological aspect of design. Public green spaces can have such an impact on people because they are so contrasting to the urban environment in which they are placed. From a physical standpoint, I am beginning to see the impact that sustainable design can have on the urban environment. With growing urbanism becoming such a problem in today’s society, sustainability is becoming even more important.
If I had to formulate a master question from the earlier questions I would probably ask if there’s a way to merge psychology and the natural environment, with sustainability and the urban environment? My focus is on improving not only the city, but the population as well. There have been a lot of case studies into sustainable urbanism that I want to look further. Almost every source I have found outlines the impact sustainable urbanism has on the city, I want to look at how it can also affect the mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment