Sunday, September 25, 2011

2b // seancurran

// LANDSCAPE INTEGRATION

Can a truly organic landscape exist in an urban situation? Is it possible for organic landscape to interact with a built environment? How could organic landscape work with public space? Can organic landscape be controlled and still be organic? How can organic landscape work with architecture using contrast, yet feeling continuity? What can be the functions of organic landscape? Is society spoiled by fake landscape? Does society know what organic landscape is?

// URBAN GROWTH

Is it possible to plan for organic urban growth? Can organic urban growth have purpose now? Does organic urban design have a more human feeling? How can American urban design work with natural function based city growth? Is it to late to create good cities? Is function organic? Do cities that were created before planning have a step up on ones created after? How do cities hang on to there vernacular urban design? Is it productive?

// CONTROL

Is there possibility of balance of in control and out of control in architecture and urban design? What is control? What is out of control? Do users want to be controlled? Does architecture do controlling, or society? Does out of control breed creativity? Is in control productive? At what point does planning become control? Is suggestion a form on control? Does lack of control lead to community?

/// CONCLUSION

Through the explorations in both thesis prep 1 and 2, I am starting to notice some convergences in my ideas. I think the most apparent one is the idea of intersection and juxtaposition. One of my major thoughts is the intersection of wildness and the built environment. My next major idea relates to a similar junction, but this time with organic urban growth, and contrasting heavily planned growth. Both of these seem to contain ideas of boundary and space, along with the breaking of that boundary and the meeting of spaces. This idea of planned seems to be near the top of my thoughts. I believe all of these ideas lead to feeling of totality. My mind seems to be currently viewing things in contrasts, and I’m not sure if I should try other ways of exploration. I think I need to try and let my mind run more free, I feel like I might be limiting myself with preconceived ideas. I worry that in these exercises I am just showing whats in my head, and not digging deeper. That said, I do feel that these exercises are bring me deeper and deeper into the topics I am drawn too.

// BIBLIOGRAPHY

Yancey, William L. 1971. "Architecture, interaction and social control : the case of a large-scale public housing project." Environment & behavior 3, no. 1: 3-21. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Németh, Jeremy, and Stephen Schmidt. 2011. "The privatization of public space: modeling and measuring publicness." Environment & planning B, planning & design 38, no. 1: 5-23. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Tagliaventi, Gabriele. 2006. "The European transect: an organic way for architecture to develop towns, cities, and metropolises." Places 18, no. 1: 46-52. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Li, Shi-fen, and Jing Zhang. 2008. "Methods of organic relationship between buildings and urban space: taking Zhongshan Square in Dalian City as an example." Shi dai jian zhu = Time & architecture no. 6: 104-107. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Molinari, Luca. 2000. "Protesi organiche per gente d'oggi = Organic protheses for people of today: [Italo Rota]." Lotus international no. 106: 81-83. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Casson, Hugh Maxwell, Sir. 1981. "'Envirotecture' --the interaction beween space and people." Royal Society of Arts, London RSA Journal 129, no. 5302: 628-638. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Winkel, Camiel van. 2000. "Figure goes to ground: landscape and interior in the work of Jeff Wall." Visual arts & culture 2, 46-59. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Diamond, Ros. 2010. "Land architecture people." Arq: architectural research quarterly 14, no. 1: 75. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

Cherubini, Roberto A. 2007. "City-nature intersections: transgenetico urbano = City-nature intersections: urban transgenetics." Metamorfosi no. 68: 106-109. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, EBSCOhost (accessed September 21, 2011).

No comments:

Post a Comment