My initial words in Thesis Prep I were time, critical regionalism, and light. Terms that can be identified with the collages I created In Thesis Prep II are time; connections; continuation; boundaries; variability; relationships between people and spaces; perceived space; space and order. What was observed about my collages in Thesis Prep II was that they reveal an interesting approach to defining space, both perceiving as well as conceiving space and the meaning of what it means to make space. It was relayed that the idea of aperture and threshold has a strong presence in my work, indicating a procession from one place or condition to another.
Through this Assignment, as well as all the feedback given from the previous assignments, I realized my thoughts and ideas about a thesis topic are in many different directions. However, I have found a common theme in analyzing my own work as well as taking in advice from other people. This theme entails connections and relationships within architecture: architecture to other architecture (site or urban context), architecture to people, and people to people (culture, tradition, society). I find that creating space for the impact of the person and context is something very important to me, whether this space constitutes an actual place or atmosphere, a space of experience and emotion. I feel that architecture needs to focus again on the person, a single individual or group of people and what they are all about, including religion, culture, traditions, values, beliefs, psychological and social behaviors, cognitive process, etc. It is how a person will feel and use the space that is essential in creating a piece of architecture. I feel that many architects today stray away from considering the person and the way we utilize, circulate and feel about every space.
A building that has come to mind while thinking about this assignment and my thesis topic is the Muller House of Adolf Loos. This building has always remained in my mind as an incredibly powerful example of how one designs every element, aspect, and aura of a space based on the routine, movement, culture, scale and proportions, social elements, and emotions of a person. The person is what should formulate an architectural language and thus, create a design that is for the human. In addition, I have always believed in order to create successful architecture for the user, the architect also has to focus on the surroundings of the context and site. A specific people, society, and culture are what create a site and without taking into consideration how the building will impact its context, the architecture will always create a boundary and interruption to the people.
I feel if I am interested in creating architecture specifically for the person and place, than I am interested in the different ways of conceiving and perceiving space, for every space will always be difference since every person and user is different. How people interpret space they are in and around should be studied in order to formulate ideas and perspectives on what is space and creates space. I do not believe I have reached a specific question yet, but I feel combining my words and ideas allows me to understand how we as architects need to respond and study the way people live, think, move and inhabitant a space in which creates a larger context.
Architecture Thesis Topics
-Primary Focus: Relationships with People- the atmosphere, site, society and culture they create.
-The topics pertain to a new methodology of design, how to begin and what to focus on.
Space, Time
How does creating a space differ depending on the user and function?
Can the totality of a space, its physical, experiential, and emotional aspects, be achieved solely through designing a piece of architecture?
With the person and their needs in mind, can the architect be successful in capturing the true essence of a space for a user or does the user need to be present in order to create the atmosphere of a space?
If the piece of architecture is specifically designed for a certain function, is it possible to achieve another atmosphere and perception of space within the same piece of architecture if the function changes over time?
Order and Organization of a Place, “Belonging”, Critical Regionalism
Is it possible for a piece of architecture to connect and form relationships with all variables and elements of a place within a specific context, to create a coherent whole within a culture?
-Landscape, Site, Geography
-Material, Texture
-People, Society, Culture
-Climate, Light
What are the affects on the user of creating a space with a strong sense of organization, movement, and purpose?
What are the affects on creating architecture based on the person and their needs, emotions, and purpose?
Humanism, Culture, Society, People
Can architecture benefit from studying the mind, body, and soul of the person?
-Behavior
-Psychology
-Cognitive
-Sociology
-Anthropology
-Culture, Traditions, Lifestyle, Religious Views/Beliefs
Has the focus on designing for the human, its culture, routine, emotions, and needs terminated and disappeared in the present methodology of approaching architecture?
What are the environmental and psychological impacts of monumental architecture versus humble, more modest architecture? Is one preferred over the other? Why?
No comments:
Post a Comment