Jerilyn Hale
Thesis Prep I
Assignment 2B
Reflection:
This assignment helped to generate additional ideas and potential new directions under topics. While reviewing sources for one topic there would be terms that hadn’t been mentioned before that allowed for more depth in the topic. Consequently this allowed for another angel to try and find more information. I found more sources around the general topics of my ideas and some that were not related at all yet still interesting. I provided the additional questions primarily because by questioning my topic it promoted me to keep thinking and developing ideas. It is the hope to find the real roots of my interests.
Beginning with more mind maps, with new terms developed in Thesis Prep II, I continuously ran into something relating to the natural world. I think this has brought a tiny bit of clarity to me, but mostly through the exercise I have become more confused. It was difficult to choose topics that I felt equally passionately about. I see many of the vocabulary used in Thesis Prep II as elements in a greater plan, maybe as the solutions for the question to be developed.
It is very possible to see convergence in the topics at hand. The understanding of materials and textures are capable of complying with either topic landscape or restoration. With choosing my topics I picked out the common threads in my portfolio of work and then something new to me. The idea of landscape has made a frequent appearance in my work along with the attention to material. I find I look for these both to express moments or offer an experience. There is an additional interest in landscape with how it can bring people together and have a greater community impact. The topic of restoration is one that I have often thought about as I drive by abandoned buildings and something I have never fully tackled in an architectural frame of mind. I am curious in which a building that has lost his function be re-vitalized and re-inhabited. There are emotions that fill a person when they look at a structure in decay, but what are they? There is also this loss of boundary when I think of abandoned buildings. They are all covered in plants as nature reclaims her space, but still man-made structures rest beneath. There is a reason why the building failed and it could because of numerous reasons. All the topics are interesting to me and quite possibly overlap more in ways then I have discovered.
MATERIALS & TEXTURES
What is there a relationship between texture of materials and human emotions?
LANDSCAPE
Can landscape architecture connect housing and commercial communities in ways that optimize space in the dense city?
With landscape architecture how do we promote a more sustainable way of living?
RESTORATION, REUSE, BIODEGRADABLE ARCHITECTURE
Why is it more desired to build and design from nothing then an existing building in need of restoration?
What are the cultural consequences of recycling and reusing an old building in a community?
How can the growing relationship between an abandoned building and nature be preserved with the restoration of the building?
To prolong the life cycle of an architectural structure must we first think of how it will go back to the earth when it no longer serves its function or must it merely be adaptable?
References
Materials & Texture:Hetherington, Kevin. 2003. Spatial textures: Place, touch, and praesentia. Environment & Planning A 35 (11) (11): 1933-44, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=490365&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Jones, Roy. 1950. Reason versus emotion in architecture. Empire State Architect 10 (1950): 39-41, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=50867&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Pallasmaa, Juhani Uolevi. 2000. Hapticity and time: Notes on fragile architecture. Architectural Review 207 (1239) (05): 78-84, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=13392&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Sennett, Richard. 1998. The sense of touch. Architectural Design 68 (3) (1998): 18-23, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=424560&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Landscape:
Cackowski, Jean Marie, and Sally Augustin. 2005. The research connection: More studies that shed light on what works in plazas, open spaces, and other landscapes. Landscape Architecture 95 (4) (04): 102, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=570319&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Laurian, Lucie. 2008. Designing greenways: Sustainable landscapes for nature and people [by] Paul Cawood Hellmund and Daniel Smith. Journal of the American Planning Association 74 (1) (Winter): 145-, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=611915&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Scarfo, Bob. 2002. Ecology, community, and delight: [sources of values in landscape architecture], by Ian H. Thompson. Landscape Architecture 92 (2) (02): 82-, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=447256&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Schilling, Joseph, and Jonathan Logan. 2008. Greening the rust belt: A green infrastructure model for right sizing america's shrinking cities. Journal of the American Planning Association 74 (4) (Autumn): 451-66, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=626988&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Southworth, Michael. 2003. New urbanism and the american metropolis. Built Environment 29 (3): 210-26, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=491002&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Restoration, Reuse & Restore
The past comes alive amid straightforwardness of form and texture: Aldeburgh music [snape maltings]. 2009. Space(502) (09): 28-31, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=642914&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Burt, Cecily. 2009. Blue collar, green collar: Cities are learning the merits of saving their industrial land. Planning 75 (2) (02): 26-31, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=629852&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Crisman, Phoebe. 2007. From industry to culture: Leftovers, time and material transformation in four contemporary museums. Journal of Architecture 12 (4) (09): 405-21, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=609227&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Gregory, Rob. 2006. Gay paris: Ministry of culture and communication, paris, france. Architectural Review 219 (1308) (02): 62-4, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=582941&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Jackson, Davina. 2000. Sydney is the centre of another boom in recycling grungy old industrial buildings for glamorous new apartments. Architecture Australia 89 (2) (2000): 24-, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=2241&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Lam, Elsa. 2004. Field work: New oppportunities for sustainability in the urban context lie in the recuperation of toxic brownfield sites. Canadian Architect 49 (1) (01): 37-9, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=494973&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Leigh, Nancey Green, and Lynn M. Patterson. 2006. Deconstructing to redevelop: A sustainable alternative to mechanical demolition. Journal of the American Planning Association 72 (2) (Spring): 217-25, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=587529&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Lentz, Linda C. 2010. Adaptive reuse: Artful conversions. Architectural Record 198 (2) (02): 77-, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=644051&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
Rykwert, Joseph. 2009. An alternative view of ando and piano's curatorial architecture in venice. Architectural Review 226 (1353) (11): 22-, http://ezproxywit.flo.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bvh&AN=641388&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
No comments:
Post a Comment