

Talia Cannistra
ARCH 926: Thesis Prep I
Fall 2011
Assignment 1b
Idea Mapping of my Thesis Ideas
Through this exercise I have learned a few things about my interests. First and foremost, I am fascinated by the idea of simple sophistication and the use of grayscale. The idea of different shades of black to gray to white and how it represents the play of light and shadow is a big contributor to how I design and what I look for in a successful design.
Contrast seems to play a significant role in the way my mind works. I consider black + white, movement + pause, open + closed, old + new, along with a number of other contrasting elements of design. However, do these elements really contrast in the negative sense of the word? I believe that despite the main topic of discussion, that they compliment each other in actuality. When the aforementioned elements are used together, I believe that they make a project rich.
Framing has always been a main focus of students, and architects alike. Whether it be framing views, spaces, thresholds, or any other part of a design, the thought is always there. What is so important about creating these framed views or spaces? How does it make the inhabitant or viewer feel? I believe that a well-placed frame can change an entire experience. It can help to direct the untrained eye to a place that deserves to be looked upon. It can help people see things in an entirely new way, or experience things in an entirely new way. By simply pointing someone in the right direction, it can enhance an entire design.
Transition is unavoidable. People move from one space to another, from interior to exterior, or from dark to light, without actually realizing what they have just done. But how does that experience develop from simply walking through a doorway, to moving through a space? The moment should be noticeable, whether it is noticed consciously or not. The powerful experience that a person can have while doing one of these things can be drastically altered by the way that event is designed. I find this to be a strong element to focus on and enjoy experiencing and learning about designs that have already utilized it successfully.
No comments:
Post a Comment